Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Quilted Luggage Tag Tutorial


It has been a long time since I have done a tutorial, and thought it was high time I did one. In the past couple of years I have found myself in airports frequently waiting for my luggage. I usually put some pompoms or ricrac on my luggage and hope it doesn't come off, so I can identify it on the merry go round when it comes off the plane.

Recently I decided that perhaps I could make up something a little different yet still noticeable.  I came up with luggage tags.



They are fast, easy, fun to make and great to give as gifts.


 Supplies for one:
two 6” squares of fabric, I used Riley Blake's Pepe In Paris, Twice as Nice and chevrons 
one 6" piece of batting ( I always use Pellon's bamboo batting)
two 5” pieces of velcro (hook and loop)



Instructions:
Layer the two 6” squares of fabric right sides together and place the piece of batting on top.
Stitch around the sandwich, ¼” seam allowance leaving a 2” opening on one side.
Turn right sides out and stitch the opening closed.
Quilt a few lines across the middle of the luggage tag to hold all three layers in place.
Pin one piece of the velcro on bottom of one side. Stitch around perimeter of velcro.

     Flip over and  attach the other piece of Velcro at the top edge centering it, and stitch around it.


      


Now you will always recognize your luggage when it comes off the conveyor belt. 

Once I made one, I got a bit carried away and made 6 more=)


This is Amanda Herring of The Quilted Fish fabric line 'Twice as Nice'.


Doesn't the chevron look just dreamy?




4 comments:

Gene Black said...

In the past I have just tied a torn strip of fabric on the handles so I could see it as it comes around. But this is far more elegant.

CraftyViolet said...

These are great and I think I may make some for the daughters and their hubbies for their Christmas stocking stuffer this year. Last time we took the train I tied long pieces of left over colourful binding strips to the suitcases so we knew which ones were ours. I got the eye-roll from hubby when I did it but admitted later on it did help him find our suitcases much quicker.

sandra said...

Those are great Jackie and are just what I need for gifts for friends who travel. Usually I just put a red ribbon around my handle. Blessings Sandra

Jo Ferguson said...

These are so cool. Thanks for the tutorial. It was clear and easy to follow.