Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dyeing Fabric

Warm weather means dyeing fabric.   I love to dye my fabric for my quilts.   It is so much fun experimenting with colours, techniques and fabrics.  

In order for me to enjoy the process, I don't keep any notes.   I realize that I most likely will be unable to create an exact colour.   I also know if I had to stop and write down measurements, cut samples and maintain some type of ledger, it would exhaust the fun right out of it.

Each time is a new adventure for me, and I love that.   These pieces are done by adding colour at each end of the dye bath container and seeing how they interact or meet in the middle.   The blue/pink is the last of my PFD cotton (desparately waiting for next shipment) and the yellow/red was an old pale yellow tablecloth that I dyed.  

I am going to do some more using this process, but I also have ordered some fun Setacolor paints  that use the sun to show shapes placed on them during the dye process.  




Next up, my studio.  I have had several requests to show you that, so stay tuned.

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yummy colors! Pinks and Orange are some of my faves!

Heather said...

BEAUTIFUL FABRICS!!!!!

Pam said...

terrific fabric I esp love the blue pink one look like a hand in the fabric

jlk said...

How much o you dye at a time? You should sell those, you know.

quilthexle said...

Oh what a relief - I do understand that perfectly well, I can't get myself to this note-taking stuff, too. I LOVE to dye my own fabrics, and I love "Colour by accident" best - and I don't think you would be able to re-produce fabrics that were dyed that way. Your fabrics are beautiful !! The blue-pink one is a stunner !!

Brooke said...

Oh, I really think we need a play date!!

Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

ooooooh! that is pretty!! ~Monika in Saskatoon