Sunday, October 24, 2010

Back from the Creative Festival

What a great weekend!   4 girls, Creative Festival, shopping for 2 days, and yummy food.
I just returned from Toronto, where the Festival of crafting took place.   There were some great seminars, the one on needles was so informative.   I will actually think a bit more about my needles before using them.  The other two seminars were  on art applique and  the many ways to embellish. 

  The vendor market was something else.   I found that the quilting booths were not as plentiful as last year, but I still managed to find a few gems.   The Janome 7700 was something I had wanted to see for a long time.  This machine didn't disappoint.   It was amazing.  If any of you have one, please share your comments about it.   And I finally  have a good colour wheel and a teflon pressing sheet.  

I also purchased some yarns/threads in a bundle for an upcoming art quilt.  And those little round things, those are silk cocoons.  I have heard so much about them, I have no idea what to do with them, so would appreciate any suggestions.   I also bought some delicious looking thread and a thread card, which I think will turn out to be very helpful. 

On the following day, we hit Queen Street.  This is known as the fabric district and it didn't let us down.   The bottom picture is a few pieces of silk dupioni and fabric for making a few scarves.   I absolutely love silk dupioni.  

I also purchased quite a few beads, large enough for pendants.  

All in all, it was a great time.   And I can't wait to start sewing some new tops with my fancy fabric.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Looks like you had a great time, I love the colors of your threads. What brand are they, Aurifil? If so, you'll love working with them. I can't find that brand anywhere here in NC except in blacks, whites, and greys. I load up on all the needles I'm going to need when Joann's has their 50% off sales, it's amazing how quickly I go through them all.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely collection! Looking forward to seeing what you will do with it all. Something amazing I am sure! L

Cheryl said...

Oh, you got some neat stuff! I have some cocoons and don't know what to do with them either... I saw a very old Quilting Arts Magazine once that has them decorated with some embroidery and beads and used as flower buds in a floral quilt. ?

Diane said...

Wow, you out did me. Your thread choice is great and you'll have fun with them. I got some great needle buys also. It was fun day and can't wait for the spring show