I did not want to copy one of the ideas out there, so I have been sketching like crazy! I have pages and pages filled up trying to find something I liked well enough to try on fabric. I did 3 small fabric trials and was not happy with any of them.
Finally I got one! These were the fabrics I chose to use. It was a bundle I picked up at our last Canadian Quilters' Association's Quilt Canada conference. It almost has a linen feel and look to it.
Here are all my scraps left over from my blocks. I can't bear to throw them out. Even though most are too small to use, they just look to good to get rid of.
This is what I ended up with. If you are guessing circles, then you are correct!
If you look carefully in the picture above, you will see my hand stitching around the perimeter of the circle. Below shows you why. I needed to somehow turn these into nice clean finished circles and I didn't want to fuse, or machine applique, nor did I want a raw edge. My solution was to draw my hand stitches tight with a cardboard circle insert to hold the shape. Using spray starch and a hot iron, I pressed the edges onto the back side and flipped the cardboard out.
It worked! I was left with a colourful circle ready to be attached to the background. I will let you know how that goes....