Monday, March 14, 2011

Fabulous News

Life took a really really exciting turn today.   You will notice in my sidebar that one of my goals was to get into the National Juried Show here in Canada.  

I entered, and got the letter today.   What I told no one was that I put in more than one entry.  In fact I put in four.   I have never done that before.  But I had four quilts that I loved  and I couldn't decide what to put in.  So far in Canada there is no limit, so I bit the bullet and entered all four.  

You can imagine my nerves as I opened the envelope, praying that just one would get accepted.   You see, this is the first time I am able to attend the show.   It travels across Canada and for the second time it is in Ontario since I have been entering.   My kids were always too young for me to make the trip, but now that they are a bit older and it is back in my province, I had decided to go.   And I really wanted to see one of my quilts hanging there.

Okay, so back to my entries... the letter stated this, 'Please be advised that 'Whimsical Wonder', 'Let The Vines Shine Through', 'Serenity', and 'Bye Gram, I Love You' were accepted into the National Juried Show.  
Here is where you can insert me reading the letter 6 times over, and finally crying and laughing all at the same time.   Yes, all 4 quilts were accepted.   I still can hardly believe it.  

Three of them are art quilts, and one is a wearable art.  

I now present my four quilts that were accepted into the National Juried Show in Canada.




This is Serenity.   It is all curved pieced and sewn together, then free motioned quilted.   At that point I cut out the pattern pieces and sewed the jacket together.  It is  fully lined and then buttons are made of polymer clay by me.



Let The Vines Shine Through is my second quilt.   I created this quilt because I love the border fabric.  It is a vintage polyester!   The flowers are 3D of course and the  quilt uses hand dyed fabric, stamping, stencilling and is free motion quilted with no stippling.


Whimsical Wonder hangs in my bedroom.  I adore this quilt so much.  Unless you see it, the colours can't be duplicated with the camera.  It is 3D and jumps out at you. 


Bye Gram, I Love You is the title of the quilt I hold dearest to my heart.   Here is the story that goes with this quilt.
It was made in memory of my grandmother who died in May 2009.


Every week for 10 years I would go over to their farm and see them, to do some housework, or just to visit. I did this by myself, and then as I had my two sons, they would come with me. And every single time, just as I was leaving, I would kiss her cheek and say, 'Bye Gram, I love you'.

She was the most remarkable woman I have ever known. A farmer's wife to my grandfather, a fabulous cook, a loving grandmother, and of course a quilter. Her grandchildren and then great grandchildren were her greatest joy. She was always so excited to see us. Everything about her was fun, whether you were in her kitchen doing dishes or peeling apples, or playing euchre, you were smiling.

This quilt was made from her blouse and a sleeper that both boys wore when she held them. The clothing is stuffed to give it more of a 3D appearance. The yarns couched into the background were from a sweater that she was unravelling near the end of her life. She was so thrifty and environmentally friendly. Decades beyond her time.

And the buttons.... there is a story. The yellow buttons, quite a few of them, represent how sunny and happy life was when she was alive. The orange ones, not so many, show the time of her dying and how painful that was for us all. And the red, all the red buttons, that is to represent all the love she left behind for us.

She witnessed my birth, watched me grow up, celebrated my marriage, cherished my children, and I held her hand when she died.

These are the four quilts that will be travelling to the National Juried Show.  
Tomorrow I will post a super giveaway to celebrate my success.  For now, I just have to walk around smiling the biggest smile ever!

32 comments:

Cheryl said...

Jackie-
What fabulous news! Congratulations! These are so wonderful, and the "Gram" quilt makes my eyes leak. Congrats, you did it!!!

Maree said...

Congratulations - they are all beautiful pieces of art. I love the story that goes with Bye Gram -you will always cherish that relationship.

Jodi said...

Fabulous - that's all I can say, plus the fact that "Bye, Gram, I love you" brought tears of joy and sadness - thanks for sharing, and best of luck to you!

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Yay, Jackie!! Congratulations! So happy for you. Wonderful news. I love all of them, especially the one for Gram. You would think they would send 4 letters!!! Enjoy it all:)

TerryLynnJohnson said...

YAY!!!!!!

I'm not surprised at all.

Gill said...

Congratulations!
Your Gram would have been so proud of you!

Jewel said...

Congratulations... and you made me cry!

Brooke said...

Hooray!!!!!!! Wonderful, wonderful news - congrats to you!!!!

sandra said...

Congratulations Jackie, I am so excited and happy for you. I love all of your work but I really love the Bye Gram quilt how proud she would have been for you. One down. Sandra

Jen said...

Congratulations! If it were up to me, I'd accept all 4, too! They're beautiful - And thanks for sharing the story of Gram - It was very heartwarming and moving! (and all too familiar!)

Linda Robertus said...

Jackie, that is wonderful news! Congratulations x4!!!! Well done, and well deserved - all 4 of your quilts are brilliant!

Jezibels said...

Jackie! Awesome little jacket and I LOVE the Pea in a pod quilting, is that quilting you did by hand? My machine is a 1960's model so I cannot quilt thru all those layers with it, I have to quilt by hand, and up unitl now I have been tying all my quilts. I will have to start somewhere I guess!

Anonymous said...

Jackie - I couldn't stop crying when I read the beautiful story of your Gram. So much love. And so inspiring. BUT....
I'm happy dancing with you though, all the way down here in South Carolina, cos your FOUR quilts were accepted! Congratulations!
Thanks for sharing this post with all of us. Quilting is like the love that weaves through all of our families and ties everything together in a wonderful way.
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Lynn said...

Wow! Congratulations! I can see why they got into the show. They are all beautiful.

Sallie said...

Congratulations!

sbsudbury said...

Congratulations Jackie. I look forward to attending the show and seeing your "art work" in person. Your story behind your "gramma" inspired quilt touched me deeply. Celebrate this milestone...you deserve it.

jlk said...

Fantastic news!!!

MinkeSwim said...

Jackie, I'm so happy for you. What a beautiful thing you made for your Gram's memory. I had no idea you were such a talented artist. I hope you do well in the competition!

Peach Rainbow said...

CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!!!

Johanna said...

Congratulations again!
I love that story about your grandmother, it made my eyes very watery :)
And I love that jacket you made!
Still, my favorite is whimsical wonders, I just love it so much :)

Mama Pea said...

Congrats! Jumping up and down for you! I love, love, love your jacket with the handmade buttons! So cool! Your quilt for your grandma is so sweet. Your story made me cry. I could not be happier for you!

Quiltin' Sandy said...

Congratulations- they are all gorgeous, and the tribute to your Grandmother is just so beautiful. You are very talented. Sandy. :)

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

NICE! : )

Judy Martin said...

Warm congratulations Jackie.
You deserve your success. Have a glass of champagne!

FlourishingPalms said...

Congratulations on your super accomplishment! Wow... even if you don't win anything, I think you can be pleased as can be to have so many entries accepted. And YOU can now encourage others to try, even if they don't think they're "worthy." All the best to you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jackie!! You go girl!! And so great you are going to be there, too.
wish I was.. sigh...
Now, we will watch for the color catalogue when the CQA magazine arrives... can't wait now until you write about this in the magazine.. which articles I really enjoy!
Hugs,
Carole

Laura said...

You are inspiring me to "bite the bullet" and enter 3 quilts into an upcoming show. Your jacket is my favorite piece, it's just gorgeous! Congratulations!

Feltsey said...

Congratulations, Jackie! Your story about your grandmother made me cry, partly because it reminded me of my quilting grandmother.

Unknown said...

Wow! Wow! WOW!!! Okay, Miss Jackie! I am so excited for you! Congratulations! hank you for sharing this big news with us! This is HUGE!!! We must get together for a coffee to celebrate soon!! :)

Diane said...

Congrats!!! A long time over due. So happy for you and keeping my fingers crossed you bring home winners. Looking forward to seeing them hung in London.

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda H said...

Jackie, that is just wonderful news! Congrats times four!!! What a thrill it will be for you to stand in the NJS and see not one, but FOUR of your quilts there. How exciting!! I'm so happy for you!